I receive a lot of great questions from customers, and I decided to start a new series of blog posts that will hopefully help to answer some of the most frequently asked questions. One of the most regular queries I receive is: What is the difference between your oil and solid perfumes? Or, more to the point: Which should I choose?
I always answer that this is a matter of preference (because it really is!), but to help clarify why you might choose one over the other, here are a few tidbits of info to make the decision easier:
First, the basic recipes for all of my perfumes are the same, whether solid or oil, so you can be assured that the fragrance is relatively consistent (as consistent as small-batch, artisan perfumes can be, that is). The only difference you might notice is that the solid perfumes have a slightly more honeyed aroma because of the additional of beeswax. In addition —
Oil-based perfumes are:
- Made from a blend of jojoba oil and botanical extracts (jojoba is a lovely, nourishing oil that is not too greasy).
- A more traditional choice — people are often more comfortable with the oil-based scents, because they are more familiar with the texture and how to apply them.
- More popular with male customers — my male customers seem to feel more comfortable with the oil-based perfumes.
- Relatively quick to sink into your skin.
- Easy to apply anywhere on the body.
Solid perfumes are:
- Made with jojoba oil and botanical extracts, with the addition of beeswax.
- Creamy, not sticky. The consistency is similar to lip balm and they “melt” into the skin.
- Great for portability — they don’t melt or spill, so you can throw them in your bag or travel pouch with ease.
- Slightly longer-lasting on the skin than the oil-based perfumes, because the beeswax acts as a thicker emollient that lingers on your skin.
- Recommended for application only on places where your skin will not be touching your clothes (neck, wrists, decollete, back of hands).
**TIP: I love to apply a perfume oil in the morning or after my shower and then carry the solid version with me in my bag so I can layer and re-apply the same scent throughout the day!
I hope this helps make your decision easier — and don’t ever hesitate to send me a message on Etsy or via: firstname.lastname@example.org
Until next time —